Friday, July 13, 2012

Eric Carle Reading Camp for Inner City Kids

A couple of weeks ago, we went to Montgomery to help my mom with a reading camp she was putting on for Inner City children. We met for a couple of hours each day for a week. Each morning as the kids were coming in, there were several morning activities to choose. There were games, matching cards, seek and find and puzzles.


 

Each morning Griffin led us in a devotional which consisted of a prayer, songs and a Creation lesson.
 

  

After the devotional, we read 2 or 3 Eric Carle books each day.



After the books, the 4 teachers each had a table with an activity related to the books from that day.
For The Tiny Seed, we made dirt cake at my table one day.
 


My aunt showed the kids how to grind your own wheat for the book Rooster's Off To See the World.



My moms table made seed books.
 


The last table made a flower with tissue paper.
 

Sometimes if a table finished their activity before time was up, they had a game to play. 
 

For the last 20 minutes, we fed the kids lunch. I have not seen so much food being devoured in one sitting as I did this week. Many of them had 2 or 3 helpings and even asked to take some home.



 Here are the 4 teachers from the week.


My own kids helped each day and several youth groups from different churches helped.

My mom did a wonderful job planning the whole camp!

No comments:

Post a Comment